What can you do when you feel really overwhelmed or when your brain feels like it’s spinning through a million thoughts a second?
Here’s a really simple trick that I love to use and has gotten great feedback from the self care community as well. If you aren't already hanging out over there, please join us!
When I start to feel overwhelmed, I’ll often do a “brain dump”.
Here's how it works:
1. Grab a piece of paper or a notebook (nothing fancy) and start writing down everything that’s swimming around in your mind. You could also do this digitally if you prefer but I always like the act of writing things down on paper.
2. That's it! The key is to get all of the random thoughts out of your mind so that you can let them go.
A brain dump sort of resembles a “to do” list but you don’t put things in any kind of particular order - just write until it feels like your mind is empty.
This always feels SO good. You don’t have to figure out the HOW or the WHY for anything you've written down at this point. You just have to get the thoughts out of your head and record them.
The benefits of doing a brain dump?
1. Can help you feel calm
2. Can help you with focus and productivity
3. Can help you organize your thoughts
4. Can help you remember and accomplish tasks (when you are ready)
It’s these small tips that can lead to overall better well being and mental health if we start practicing them!
Would a brain dump help you reduce overwhelm?